Happy Friday, folks! Welcome back to T:MINUS, a weekly marketing podcast hosted and produced by us here at 321 the Agency.
This week on T:MINUS, we ask the age-old question: why do movie trailers suck? Whether they give too much away or misrepresent the movie entirely, trailers have remained a point of contention in the film community.
We also discuss the ingredients that make for a great movie trailer, mystery box marketing, and the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones.
So, take a seat, put on your headphones, and get ready for your weekly dose of all things marketing from T:MINUS by 321 the Agency.
- 2:44 iTunes Trailer
- 4:02 The hype behind the Force Awakens trailer
- 4:50 It is easy to make a cool trailer for Star Wars
- 5:33 Examples of least favorite and most favorite trailers
- 6:35 Music carries a trailer
- 7:00 Great trailers that lead to weak movies
- 7:57 What makes a great movie trailer?
- 8:54 Fantastic beasts and multiple trailers
- 9:37 Revealing too much
- 10:55 When the trailer is different than the movie
- 11:23 When the genre of a movie is different than the commercial
- 12:03 The case with Cabin in the Woods
- 13:50 The case with The Breakup
- 15:29 Silence elicits the biggest suspense
- 16:02 Jeff tries to like J.J. Abrams
- 17:32 Mystery box marketing
- 18:20 J.J. Abrams is one of the best producers
- 19:00 Trailers that have gotten it right
- 20:40 Movies based on true events
- 21:55 Trailer for Vice
- 23:05 Angelina Jolie’s movie, Unbroken
- 25:28 Is the biggest issue that trailers give too much away?
- 27:00 There is a line to walk with movie trailers
- 28:55 The Red Wedding
- 30:30 The original Godzilla trailer
If you like what you hear, make sure to follow us for weekly updates.