Welcome back to T:MINUS, a weekly marketing podcast hosted and produced by us here at 321 the Agency. To kick off Season 3, we’re exploring femininity and masculinity in advertising.
It seems these two are having a moment in advertising, from Gillette tackling toxic masculinity all the way to Nike’s Dream Crazier ad. We explore femininity rooted in masculinity, how brands can address gender in advertising, women’s beauty products, and the male gaze.
So, take a seat, put on your headphones, and get ready for your weekly dose of all things marketing.
- 1:17 Gillette advertisement
- 3:40 Keurig pulls advertisements from Fox
- 5:40 Nike Dream Crazier ad
- 8:57 In the wake of the MeToo Movement
- 10:00 Did the 2016 election shift the way we market to people?
- 12:30 Brand loyalty being the difference between success and failure
- 15:42 Toxic masculinity
- 17:23 Axe Body Spray and obvious marketing
- 20:54 McDonalds Big Mac ad and toxic gender ads
- 22:01 Narratives of sexuality in marketing have always been held by white men
- 23:31 Dollar Shave Club and being pointlessly gendered
- 25:28 Women’s razor advertisements
- 30:25 Marketing is supposed to solve pain points
- 32:33 Speaking to women in marketing has a long way to go
- 33:30 It all comes down to diversity in decision making